Sunday, April 5, 2009

I'm on the Wagon

All this hype about the Twilight series drove me crazy.

I'd never read the books.

I didn't want to see the movie.

Everywhere I turned...people were obsessed. Men, women, teens, co-workers, family, friends...everyone.

I thought it was awfully strange.

I figured it was similar to Lord of the Rings. And, I totally was not even interested in that. Thinking about it, I did like the Harry Potter movies (never read any of the books) but, I wouldn't say it was the best thing ever. Someone should have told me Twilight is a total "Dawn" movie.

My cousins invited me to a Twilight party. I thought...do I really need to go to this? I have no interest. Being that I love my cousins - I accepted, though not without hesitation. I figured I'd be bored, but...at least be in the company of good people.

I arrived to the party late, yet just in time for the movie. What I saw was a meticulously planned party of Twilight followers - young and old. A mixture of all ages. Seriously. Majority of the attendees were decked out in their Twilight best and everyone wore a name badge printed with pictures of Edward Cullen. Not to mention there was a life size stand up cutout of Edward with kisses all over him. Too cute.

The movie began. I heard narration of the movie all around the house. In my head I'm quietly laughing. The moment Edward arrives on the screen - I heard gasping from around the room. They LOVE him. So funny....I thought. I had no idea I would soon take on their obsessions.

Throughout the movie, I asked questions - Jessica happily answered as she could tell my interest was strongly increasing. I was able to pull tidbits of books 2-4 out of her. The movie itself left me wanting to read all 4 books that night. NOT KIDDING.

I'm the kind of person that loves to read - but, does not have the patience. Remember this?? I read to complete. I love the excitement and fantasy that reading brings me. But...I get so antsy that I cannot wait to finish to find out how it ends. So, I typically end up reading the book in 1-2 sittings.

I also tend to think, read, and feel too much into the book. I do the same with movies, and TV shows, blogs, and news stories. I somehow find myself truly caring about the characters. Seriously, it's like I think they're real. I know - I'm wieeeee-eeeerd!

Well, I have now found myself excited for Edward and Bella. Thirsting to find out what happens next. Although...I do admit to knowing tidbits here and there thanks to my inquisition. Edward is a bit dreamy. That's funny - because before watching the movie...I really didn't think so. Well, maybe not the actor - but, the character...he's dreamy.

I've heard New Moon opens November 20. I will be one of those crazy fans waiting all night to see the first showing, wearing the Twilight t-shirt, narrating the film, choosing Team Edward or Team Jacob, and loving every minute of it.

It's official - I've jumped on the Twilight bandwagon. What took me so long?

.

1 comment:

Em said...

oh joy!!! i had a hard time getting into the book, but the last 100 pages usually flew by;-) kind of like the movie. i didn't like the beginning, but by the end i was loving it! so glad you've joined the boat.